Monasteries

Μοναστήρια - Banner

A holy adventure

Kipinas Monastery is one of the most impressive monasteries in Greece. For sure the small church made of wood and stone, built inside a rock will leave you speechless.

The monastery was built about 1212 AD. The road reaches the base of the cliff and then, if you want to go to the monastery, you must follow a path carved into the rock and a wooden bridge.

During Ottoman Empire, the monks raised the wooden bridge to be protected from the raids.

Read more

Monastery Assumption of Holy Mary of Archimandreiou

The church of Archimandreiou, dedicated to the Dormition of Mary was the church of the monastery Archimandrite or Archimandreiou or of the Lady Chimantriotissas. The name should probably be connected to the lead it had among other monasteries of Ioannina, as Archimandrite Abbot lived there.

Read more

Monastery of Diliou or Strategopoulos

The Monastery is located on the west side of the island, in a short distance from the monastery Philanthropists. Little is known about the history of the institution. It is however very likely founded in the 13th century by the family members of Stratigopoulou, as evidenced by its name.

Read more

Monastery of Holy Mary of Molivdoskepastou

Αφιερωμένη στην Κοίμηση της Θεοτόκου, χτίστηκε τον 7ο αιώνα από τον Αυτοκράτορα Κωνσταντίνο και ανακαινίστηκε δύο φορές μέχρι το 1522. Ονομάστηκε μολυβδοσκέπαστη γιατί ήταν καλυμμένη από πλάκες μολυβιού, τις οποίες, σύμφωνα με την παράδοση, τις πήραν οι Τούρκοι για να κάνουν βόλια. Το 1943 βομβαρδίστηκε από τους ναζί.

Ο αρχικός ναός έχει πανύψηλο τρούλο, ύψους 15 μέτρων. Ο μεγαλύτερος θησαυρός της είναι η εικόνα της Παναγιάς της «Πωγωνιανίτισσας».

Η Μονή, που είναι ακόμα ενεργή, υπήρξε και σχολή χειρογράφων.

Read more

Monastery of St. George Dove - Dourouti

The Monastery of St. George Peristeras - Dourouti, is situated at the highest point of the University of Ioannina, in a green landscape. It has suffered many disasters. Today, it is completely renovated and besides the Church of St. George and includes other areas such as a library, a conference room, a dining room, service rooms etc.

Read more

Monastery of St. John the Baptist

The Monastery is located on the east side of the island just a short distance from the village. Historical data for the foundation come from the autobiography of brothers Theophanes and Nektarios Apsaras, who came from a mainland noble family, whose members held important offices in the city of Ioannina since the Byzantine era. There is no information on the history of the monastery of St. John after its establishment.

Read more

Monastery of St. Nicholas Tzoras

Η μονή του Αγίου Νικολάου Τζώρας βρίσκεται στο όρος Δρίσκος στις νοτιοανατολικές παρυφές του λεκανοπεδίου των Ιωαννίνων, σε απόσταση 3χιλ. από τον οικισμό Βασιλική.

Read more

Monastery of the Metamorphosis of Savior

The Monastery is in a short distance, east-southeast of the monastery of the Merciful, with which it was connected, during the last period of operation, after the destruction of the sultan's troops during the siege of Ali Pasha.

Read more

Monastery Panagia Eleousa

In a short distance from the Monateries of Philanthropinon and Diliou, on the west side of the island lies the building complex of the monastery of Merciful Mary. And this monastery was originally dedicated to St. Nicholas, known as the method aton Monastery or Gkioymaton because of the Ioannina's family name known in the period of Turkish rule.

Read more

Prophet Elias Monastery

The only monastery which has no direct contact with the lake, is the monastery of Prophet Elias at the top of a low hill to the south of the settlement. The historical data for the monastery are minimal. The original building of the church, which probably dated back even in the late Byzantine period, was destroyed by the sultan's troops, in 1821-22. The church was rebuilt a few years later, probably with the contribution of the guild of furriers, who had custody of the monastery during the second half of the 19th century.

Read more

St. Catherine - the Metohi of the Sinai

The Monastery of Saint Catherine is located in the old district of Karavatou, just east of the Archimandreio. It is a monastery of St. Catherine of Sinai. The original church was built in 1771 and renovated in 1801. Between 1872 to 1875 major renovation followed, sponsored by the wealthy Ioannina residents Alexios and Angeliki Papazoglou. Angeliki Papazoglou came from Skamneli. The temple is built in the type of three-aisled basilica with a raised loft on the west side. Among the most remarkable, old icons which are kept in the church is St.

Read more