Historical Locations

Ιστορικές Τοποθεσίες - Banner

Once upon a castle

What gate you walk through to enter the castle, does not matter. By entering into this, the city bustle stays outside. A traditional settlement is scattered through the Ottoman buildings like Soufari Seraglio and Aslan Pasha mosque, which houses the municipal museum and the Jewish synagogue.

A crossroads of cultures and religions. And high above, the Kale, the Acropolis: a cultural park with small museums and collections. In summer this is the area of cultural heart of the city, with concerts and other events that take place.

Read more

Fortresses Bizaniou

These fortresses of the Turks are at the top of the Bizani hill. They were constructed under the supervision of the German Marshal Gault (VON DER GOLTZ) in the years 1909 to 1912 and during the war.

Read more

House Martyr St. George

After the martyrdom of St. George on January 17, 1838, the faithful citizens made the site of the house a pilgrimage. One of the rooms was converted into a chapel for the operational needs of the faithful. Located at Mavrogianni 84 ''.

Read more

Monument Lorenzo Mavilis (Driskos)

The monument of the poet and fighter Lorenzo Mavilis (in which his bones are located) is on the verge of the Vasiliki community, a little far away from Ioannina, in the area of Driskos. At this point on November 28, 1912, the Ionian Islands poet was killed with the volunteers Garyvaldinous against the Turks for the liberation of Ioannina. The Corfiot (with Spanish roots) poet was born in September 1860 in Ithaca and killed on November 28, 1912, in the area of Driskos, fighting for the liberation of our city.

Read more

Promachonas Litharitsia

Bastion Litharitsia is built on the homonymous small hill, located in a short distance southwest of the Castle. This impressive work, a sample of the late Ottoman fortification was built by Ali Pasha around 1800.

Read more

The "Cooking Place" of Its Kale

In short distance north of the Cultural Center of the Municipality of Ioannina lies the building complex of the Turkish Cookeries, built in the late 18th century or early 19th by Ali Pasha and his son Veli, to serve the needs of staff of the seraglios of Veli Pasha, which was built at the lower levels of the hill Litharitsia.

It is a rectangular, large building. Many interventions were made during the use by the military. After extensive mounting works, made between 1995 - 1997 by the Municipality of Ioannina, it now houses the departments of the Cultural Center.

Read more

The Treasure Chest of Ioannina

In the center of Kale and adjacent to the church of St. Anargyroi, there is the building known by the oral tradition as a «The treasure chest." It is an impressive building that probably belonged to a wider group of seraglios of Ali Pasha, whose remains were found in a short distance to the south of the building.At the western end of the south side, there is a vaulted opening that probably led to the next, vaulted space, which later was formed to the present church of St. Anargyroi.

Read more

Μonument Bizaniou

In Bizani and 100 meters from the highway the monument of Bizanomachon rises and observes across the hill of the sacrifice of Bizanomachon as small gift in return of us, the younger generation, for the great sacrifice of so many people from all parts of Greece and the world.

Read more